The MIC AGM just concluded. Although it was a one-day affair, a departure from the normal two days allotted to the gathering of grassroot leaders, it managed to put in perspective, the direction of the party. The rebranding exercise took centre stage. Was nice to see some delegates bringing up pertinent issues. Now, the party needs to get back its support from the community. Although we are slow, I am confident that we would eventually make it.
Below is the summary of the AGM:
1. The president said that MIC Youth was unaffected by the resignation of several youth leaders including, its chief S. A. Vigneswaran, over the past month, and had in fact emerged stronger now.
2. He also said that he would leave it to delegates attending the MIC party elections in March next year to decide on his fate as party's president. He said the question of whether he would be re-elected or someone else would take over as party president would be decided by the delegates.
3. The president also called on the ruling Barisan Nasional (BN) to do away with communal politics and become a truly multi-racial party if it wants to regain the support and trust of the people. He said BN should speak with one voice while ensuring the needs and sensitivities of all races were respected and fulfilled.
4. The Prime Minister who opened the AGM announced that immediate steps would be taken to enhance education among Indian students, either at school or university level, for the long-term benefit of the country's third largest community.
5. He said among others, the government had agreed to turn more capital-aided Tamil schools, many of which are in the rural areas, into fully-aided schools.
6. The president also announced that the government has approved a RM120mil allocation over four years for the development of the Indian community following a request by the MIC. The RM30mil yearly allocation would be used to help single mothers and develop youth programmes and other schemes to help the needy.
A Kadir Jasin *بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّحِيْمِ* *PENGANJUR* kata dialog. Umum kata debat. Tun Dr Mahathir kata bahas. Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz kata...
4 days ago