Last week MIC top brass met the Chief Secretary to the government and the Public Services Department D-G. Their quest was to ask for more Indian students be given PSD scholarships to continue their studies overseas. Initially only 34 Indian students were offered the scholarships, then this was increased to 70-odd. We are now appealing on behalf of 180 other Indian students.
Do we have to "beg" the government every year for these scholarships? In my view, it is best that the powers that be fix the number of PSD scholarhips for Indians. The figure I am looking at is 250 scholarships. This is because out of 2,000 such scholarships, 55% if allocated for the bumiputeras, while the remainder 45% or 900 scholarships for the non-bumis.
And judging from this year, 34 scholarships out of the 900, is a far cry from our population propotion. We also cannot go on begging the PSD every year. Give us 250 scholarships and let the cream of Indian students enjoy the labour of their hardwork. What do you think ? Lets have your say on this issue.